82 days to go

Over the weekend, I was admitted to the hospital for preterm labor.  I was discharged on Tuesday.

I’ll start from the beginning.

I’ve been dealing with rib & mid back pain for three months now.  I mentioned in a previous post that my regular ob haven’t been very helpful or informative about treating or diagnosing these pains.  On top of that, I haven’t even been able to make an appointment to actually see my regular ob for the last three months.  I’ve been seen by her physician assistant.

Over the three-day labor day weekend, the pain was so excruciating that I decided I better go see my primary care physician since I wasn’t able to see my actually ob and I wasn’t willing to waste my time again to see her physician assistant.  I LOVE MY PCP.  If only she can be my ob too…  Anyhow, my PCP was more systematic, which I love because I needed a clear course of action.  Not some wishy-washy, maybe it’s this or that but lets just take pain-killer.  Even though at the end of the day, the tests we took ruled out almost everything that my PCP thought might be causing the pain, I was relieved to at least know for sure.  She prescribed me a stronger dose of pain-killer which helps alleviate the pain a little bit.

Then over the weekend, the pain was back with a vengeance and it wasn’t time to take another dose of my pain-killer yet.  KT took me to the emergency room.  Best case scenario, they might finally figure out what’s causing the pain.  Worse case scenario, they’ll give me an even stronger dose of pain-killer.

By this time, I’ve done my own research online and I honestly would like to believe that it is just the position of the baby that is causing all this pain.  And if the pain from the position of the baby is so bad, they can even reposition the baby.  But since I’m no doctor, I’m just waiting for a “qualified” medical personnel to speculate this all on their own.

At the emergency room, they immediately admitted me to labor and delivery since I’m pregnant.  The first thing they mentioned was the possibility of eclampsia (anyone getting a Downton Abbey flashback??).  Luckily, they ruled that out.  Instead, they discovered I was having contractions (which I didn’t even feel) and I tested positive for FFN.  All that means is I’m endangered of going into labor.  They shot me up with a bunch of muscle relaxin to stop the contractions but they just wouldn’t go away.  They also gave me steroids to help the baby’s lung develop faster in case I do deliver early.

With all this going on, I didn’t have a chance to be afraid.  I was in too much pain and discomfort.  I was exhausted and nauseated.  I just wanted to go home.

I was discharged a couple of day ago with instructions to be on modified bed rest and, here’s the bummer, no flying.  We had to cancel our babymoon to Hawaii which we have scheduled for tomorrow.  We decided to do a mini road trip instead to Santa Barbara, Ojai, Solvang, and Balboa Island.  They are all relatively close by but we decided to stay at hotels so it feels more like a babymoon.

I’m feeling ready to get back on my feet already. I’m just waiting for the dizziness to pass and for my breathing and heart rate to get back to normal.  I’m still looking forward to our babymoon even  though we had to make last minute changes.  KT told me to focus on the silver lining.  Here’s my silver lining: If nothing else, I’m glad to learn that KT and I make a great support team in case of emergencies.  The delivery should be a breeze…  fingers crossed.

One comment

Leave a Reply